We would like to encourage students to use this time as an opportunity to develop a whole range of skills.
- For careers education please log onto START PROFILE. at www.startprofile.com. This free website is easy to use and has some great activites and information for all year groups to do including the ‘About me’ section which helps build up a personal profile!
- Speakers for Schools are running free weekly VTalks schedule! This schedule will be updated weekly and talks will be targeted to different age groups. Please visit the Speakers for schools website for more information. The list o f upcoming talks can be viewed here https://www.speakersforschools.org/inspiration/vtalks/upcoming-vtalks/
Here is Next Week’s full VTALK Schedule. Please feel free to share the schedule with your students!
WEEK STARTING MONDAY 13TH JULY 2020
DATE SPEAKER INFO Mon 13thJuly 10am Reemah Sakaan, Group Launch Director, Britbox Hear from Reemah Sakaan, Group Launch Director, BritBox on what it takes to have a career in TV, the skills and qualities that you might need and more about their career journey. Mon 13thJuly 2pm Andrew Bailey, Governor of the Bank of England Join us to hear from the Governor of the Bank of England, Andrew Bailey, as he talks to students across the UK about the work of the Bank and answers YOUR questions. Tues 14thJuly 10am Richard Aylard, External Affairs and Sustainability Director and Rebekah Kenyon, Senior Sustainability Awareness Advisor, Thames Water Reflections on sustainability in a lockdown world: Join us to hear from Richard Aylard and Rebekah Kenyon as they discuss sustainability and lockdown, from home working to how lockdown has impacted Thames Water’s activities and our new appreciation for the environment. Tues 14thJuly 2pm Sara Crofts, Chief Executive, The Institute of Conservation Who looks after the dinosaurs in the Natural History Museum? Who uncovers the hidden stories in old paintings? Who keeps Big Ben running like clockwork? Join Sara Crofts to find out how professional conservators care for the treasures in our museums and galleries. Wed 15thJuly 10am Anna Turney, Paralympian Paralympian, Anna Turney, is joining SFS virtually to reflect on her own journey and share life lessons with young people including the important of goal setting, working hard and developing resilience. Wed 15thJuly 2pm Alejandra Castaño GHG Air Quality Lead Advisor, Upstream – GOO, BP This talk will be given by an environmental engineer with BP about her career at the company and the kind of work she’s involved in with the company’s carbon ambitions. Thurs 16thJuly 10am Sharon Walpole, Director, Careermap We’re delighted Sharon Walpole, Director, Careermap has kindly agreed to join us to discuss how young people can prepare for their future careers from understanding what your passion is, how to research to find out more about the careers you might be interested in and sharing the resources that can help you think about your future. Thurs 16thJuly 2pm Julia Angeles, Investment Manager, Baillie Gifford Interested in learning more about the skills it takes to succeed in the future job market? Julia Angeles has joined us to give insights in to the investment industry and to highlight the importance of collaborative and creative thinking in any career!
HOW TO JOIN THE VTALKS
- Join 10 minutes before the VTALK to be ready
- You can join without needing an account – Watch how here
- For full speaker descriptions visit the VTALK Schedule here
VTALK LIBRARY & MORE
- Are re you are looking to broaden your skills? Visit the Open University website – they offer FREE OpenLearn courses in a wide range of subjects, some are based on Open University course materials. Others are written specifically for OpenLearn. https://www.open.edu/openlearn/free-courses/full-catalogue
- British Sign Language (BSL) is a fantastic and really useful new skill to learn. BSL are currently offering their online course on a ‘pay what you can afford’ basis. More details can be found here https://www.british-sign.co.uk/
- Free PE lesson with Joe Wicks – Joe Wicks, aka The Body Coach, live-streams a 30-minute PE classes on his YouTube channel for free at 9am – more than 900,000 took part on Monday, the first day most kids were off school.
If 9am doesn’t suit you, you can always do the session later!. Look out for his next session here: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCAxW1XT0iEJo0TYlRfn6rYQ
- https://www.aqa.org.uk/programmes/unit-award-scheme/units – have a look at the all the different units that are available, find one that interests you that you wouldn’t normally be studying.