We would like to encourage students to use this time as an opportunity to develop a whole range of skills.
- For careers education please log onto START PROFILE. at www.startprofile.com. This free website is easy to use and has some great activites and information for all year groups to do including the ‘About me’ section which helps build up a personal profile!
- Spotlight on Engineering Careers https://mailchi.mp/successatschool/careers-in-engineering-your-complete-guide-1277051
WIN A WEX COMPETITIONS
Please see PDF documents each containing a “Win a Work Experience” job description. They cover most geographical and sector areas. The deadline for all applications is Monday 8 June at midday.
Summary of Careers Festival
WEX – AJM Gleave – One week Fence Builing
WEX – Arena Stuio – One Week Placement
WEX – Dynamics Ltd 5 day work experience_
WEX – Hammond McNulty – 2 day placement
WEX – JG Creative – Junior Graphic Designer
WEX – Minerva Arts – One week work experience
WEX – Network Rail – 5 day work experience
WEX – RedShift Online – Become a Podcaster
WEX – Unieed Creative
WEX – Zoo2U – Design a Roller Banner
WEX -AO – One Day
WEX -Concert Networks – one week
WEX -East Cheshire NHS – 5 day work experience
WEX -Kier Construction – 5 day work experience
- Speakers for Schools are running free weekly VTalks schedule! This schedule will be updated weekly and talks will be targeted to different age groups. Please visit the Speakers for schools website for more information. The list o f upcoming talks can be viewed here https://www.speakersforschools.org/inspiration/vtalks/upcoming-vtalks/
Here is Next Week’s full VTALK Schedule. Please feel free to share the schedule with your students!
WEEK STARTING MONDAY 1ST JUNE 2020
Mon 1st June 10am
Ann Cairns, Executive Vice Chair, Mastercard
In this interview, Ann Cairns will be asked about her top tips and advice for young people in preparing for their future careers.
Mon 1st June 2pm
Kev O’Sullivan, Creative Director, Fleishman Hillard Fishburn
What does it mean to work in the creative industries? How can young people develop their personal brand and repuatation? Creative Director, Kev O’Sullivan will share his insights and answer student questions!
Tues 2nd June 2pm
Philippe Sands, Lawyer, Matrix Chambers & Professor of International Law
The Ratline: hunting a Nazi, a story about love, lies and justice. In Philippe’s VTalk he will discuss how he came across the story of his book and podcast, The Ratline. Students who are keen on learning more about this story or any budding historians should definitely watch!
Wed 3rd June 10am
Gisela Abbam, Chair, British Science Association
In recent times, the world has learnt that public health is vital for a functioning society. Gisela Abbam, Chair of the British Science Association will discuss with students why it is so important and how students can pursue careers in the health sector.
Wed 3rd June 2pm
Dan Connolly, Sports Marketing Executive, Consul Sports Club
Passionate about sports? Think you’d be a great marketer or what to know more about what they do? Tune in to Dan Connolly’s VTalk to hear more about how he turned his passion into a career and what a a career in Sports Marketing could be like.
Thu 4th June 10am
In collaboration with Penguin Talks: Elif Shafak, Author and Afua Hirsch, Writer, Journalist and Broadcaster
Students who wish to submit questions to Elif and Afua should email
How to challenge inequality
Award-winning British-Turkish novelist, Elif Shafak, joins writer, journalist and broadcaster, Afua Hirsch, to discuss the widening inequalities across the world how we can challenge them.
Fri 5th June 10am
John Vary, Futurologist, John Lewis Partnership
This session will focus on our life lessons and advice theme, John will discuss his own career journey and developing resilience. His session will also take a look at future trends and the work of a futurologist.
HOW TO JOIN THE VTALKS
- Join 10 minutes before the VTALK to be ready
- You can join without needing an account – Watch how here
- For full speaker descriptions visit the VTALK Schedule here
VTALK LIBRARY & MORE
- Are re you are looking to broaden your skills? Visit the Open University website – they offer FREE OpenLearn courses in a wide range of subjects, some are based on Open University course materials. Others are written specifically for OpenLearn. https://www.open.edu/openlearn/free-courses/full-catalogue
- British Sign Language (BSL) is a fantastic and really useful new skill to learn. BSL are currently offering their online course on a ‘pay what you can afford’ basis. More details can be found here https://www.british-sign.co.uk/
- Free PE lesson with Joe Wicks – Joe Wicks, aka The Body Coach, live-streams a 30-minute PE classes on his YouTube channel for free at 9am – more than 900,000 took part on Monday, the first day most kids were off school.
If 9am doesn’t suit you, you can always do the session later!. Look out for his next session here: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCAxW1XT0iEJo0TYlRfn6rYQ
- https://www.aqa.org.uk/programmes/unit-award-scheme/units – have a look at the all the different units that are available, find one that interests you that you wouldn’t normally be studying.